Pages

Thursday, April 6, 2023

Book Review: The Nine Lives of Summer by Jem Vanston

Title: The Nine Lives of Summer

Author: Jem Vanston
Genre: Fiction - Animals - Cats
Publisher: Two Fat Cats Publishing Copyright 2023
Publication Date: March 1, 2023
ISBN: 9781399944238
Read: March 19, 2023
Disclaimer: I received a digital advanced reader copy from the publisher via Netgalley. All opinions are my own.

Trigger Warnings: This book contains references to war, death, suffering, and animal abuse.

Synopsis from Publisher: One cat, nine lives and a quest to find a way home 

Summer is a cat living happily with ten-year-old girl Sami and her family in Syria. Then the war comes. Sami and her parents are forced to make the heart-wrenching decision to flee as refugees, leaving Summer behind. On her journey through nine lives in a dozen countries, Summer discovers her purpose – to find Sami again. The quest leads Summer all over the world, meeting diverse people from a vast array of cultures and backgrounds, through exciting adventures and heart-break, desperate struggle and survival. But she never ever gives up hoping and searching. 

Will Summer ever find Sami, and be reunited with her family in her furever home once again?

Review: If you're a regular reader of Memento Nerdy Reviews, you know I love animals, especially cats. I've been fortunate to share much of my life with these furry, funny, fabulous creatures so I was excited to read The Nine Lives of Summer by Jem Vanston, but my heart was not ready to face the heartache contained within these pages, and yet I'm happy I read the book for it's wondrous tale of a love that transcends lifetimes.

Vanston's depictions of war-torn Syria are gut-wrenching, as are the trials faced by Summer (the cat) and her family. The emotional parting between Summer and her beloved Sami struck a deep chord within me because I've had to make the hard decision to leave a beloved furbaby behind in order to move to a new place. (Granted, I wasn't in a war-torn area and was eventually reunited with my furry companion because I was able to leave him with family, but it still dredged up some painful memories.) However, Sami leaving Summer behind is only the beginning of the emotional rollercoaster ride Vanston has created.

Through years and multiple lives, Summer is always looking to be reunited with Sami. Some of the lives are long and comfortable. Some are short and filled with struggle. All of these combine to create an incredible journey that is both life-affirming and guaranteed to hit you right in the feels...hard. At times poignant, humorous, sad, and harrowing, the end result is a tale that makes me hug my own kitties a little tighter in appreciation for their companionship and endless love. 

Overall, The Nine Lives of Summer is perfect for anyone who likes animal stories, but be warned--this book will make you ugly-cry. Also, it may not be suitable for young kids as it does contain a couple of graphic scenes as told from a cat's point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment