Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Review: Children of Blood and Bone by Toni Adeyemi

Title: Children of Blood and Bone
Author: Toni Adeyemi
Genre: YA Fantasy
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. - Copyright 2018
Read: March 2018; July 2018
Disclaimer: I purchased a hardcover copy of this book via Amazon.com as well as an audio book through Audible.com with no offers of compensation from the author or publisher. The following review reflects a combination of both the hardcover book and the audio book. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis from Publisher: 
They killed my mother.
They took our magic.
They tried to bury us.
Now we rise.

Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zélie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls.

But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.

Now Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good.

Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers and her growing feelings for an enemy.

Review: Toni Adeyemi's debut novel burst onto the book scene in March 2018, and has been going strong ever since. Initially I bought the hardcover version of the book for the cover, which is awesome! Then I got excited because of all the buzz I kept hearing about it so I had to start reading it.

I loved Adeyemi's writing, and the voice she gave Zelie was that of a strong, independent young woman who wasn't going to let anyone or anything stand in her way. Another aspect I loved about Children of Blood and Bone was the unique magical system based on traditional West African religious beliefs and mythology. Outside of L.A. Banks's Neteru series have I encountered such an original spin on magic and the consequences for those who wield it.

As Zelie's world unfolded upon the pages, I was enthralled. I loved her spirit. I loved the action packed onto the page. I loved the attention to detail in the world building. I was feeling really good about the book. Then I had some personal setbacks, and I had to set the book aside for a time, but I kept thinking about it. Eventually, I did return to Zelie's story but in the form of an audio book. The excellent narrator for the book added another layer to the story, and I remembered why I loved Zelie.

But then something happened about midway through the book. I'm not certain what happened, why, or how, but Zelie lost her luster. The spirit I loved in her started to slowly die. Even though she remained active and determined to free her people from the oppressive state in which they lived, her spark diminished as other characters began to share more of the page until by the end of the story I was in a serious state of dislike for Zelie.

Yes, there are some heavy themes throughout the book--most notably the treatment of minorities by the supposed majority and the unfairness of such a brutal system. I'm not unsympathetic to the real-world equivalents, and I know from experience that when a person is constantly belittled and berated that it takes a toll on the mind, body, and spirit. However, I felt that the drastic cooling of Zelie's inner fire--the very thing that made me admire and love her--perhaps went a little too far.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll continue with the series for this reason. As the time draws closer for the second book to launch, perhaps I'll re-read Children of Blood and Bone and I'll feel differently. For now, I can say that, overall, I did enjoy the book, and I think Adeyemi has a bright future ahead of her.

The second book in the Legacy of Orisha series, Children of Virtue and Vengeance, will be published in March 2019.

Review at a Glance:

Concept: A
Execution: A
Writing Style: A
Characters: B+
Reader Connection: B+
Overall Grade: A
Would I Buy This Author Again: Undecided but leaning toward "yes."

No comments:

Post a Comment