Pages

Friday, March 23, 2018

Book Review - Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Title: Red Rising
Author: Pierce Brown
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Publisher: Del Rey - Copyright 2014
Review Copy Source: Purchased via Barnes & Noble
Read: March 7-22, 2018
Disclaimer: I purchased the copy of this book that is reviewed here and have received no compensation from the author or publisher. All opinions are my own.

Review: I'm a little behind the times on my reading due to studying for a second Bachelor of Arts degree. (I'll be even more behind once I **fingers crossed** am accepted into a Ph.D. program.) That's why I'm only now reading Pierce Brown's Red Rising. I'll make this review brief:

O
M
G

Why did I wait so long to read this book?! 😭 Brown has taken a familiar setting--Mars--and created
a unique world that is at once relatable and completely alien. loved Darrow and Eo from the start. Darrow has vaulted into the cadre of Must Read Characters along with Harry Potter, Mia Corvere, and Katniss Everdeen. 

Brown's knack for continually upping the stakes for his characters is a thing of beauty. The tension between Darrow and Cassius is so tightly draw that I wondered when it would snap, and when it finally did... I was in awe. And then, Brown upped the stakes between these two characters again! Aaaaaahhhhh!!!!! 

Honestly, I have little words to describe how much I enjoyed this book that won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it. If you enjoy well-written, high-stakes science fiction, Red Rising is for you. Don't let the fact that it's targeted for young adults stop you from reading it because you will soon forget the characters are teens. 

Review at a Glance:

Concept: A
+
Execution: A+
Writing Style: A
Characters: A+
Reader Connection: A
Overall Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment